[ubuntu-art] freshened metacity theme

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 3 12:54:05 GMT 2006

Martin-Éric Racine wrote:

>A flat theme like Clearlooks work well, because the window frames are
>one big flat color zone, so a Human variant based on that would be
>best. Any time that stripes or similar decorations are added (or at
>least, stripes based on just a slightly different shade of the same
>color), it hampers rendering on low-spec graphics hardware. Ditto
>whenever using images for the widgets.

Right, thanks for the info. So a combination of Clearbox [1] and
Clearlooks [2] might be good.

Clearbox has a visible frame and square corners which the current Human
theme also has (so we would get a continuation of those). It also has
nice clean buttons (without the bevels of the Clearlooks version. The
Clearbox header is a bit too clean though; it doesn't have any texture.
The Clearlooks theme OTOH has a subtle shading in the title bar, which
could be ported over to Clearbox.

In addition, we might want to make the buttons slightly more obvious,
without bevels. The hover should also be more obvious. Perhaps a
surrounding box with different colouring like in Human? The outer edge
should also have slightly more texture (as the current one does).

[1] http://art.gnome.org/themes/metacity/1075
[2] http://art.gnome.org/themes/metacity/1009

- Henrik