[ubuntu-art] freshened metacity theme

Young Hahn youngjin.hahn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 12:29:05 GMT 2006

Out of curiosity, at what color depth are you running X?

I have so far been optimizing for rendering speed, but definitely was not
expecting to accomodate 8bit or lower color depths. I would be surprised to
find individuals running such machines to find the icons/gtk flare to be
bearable at 8bit.

don't get me wrong--i think it's a good idea to aim for accessibility to
those on more dated hardware. but having run X in 8 bit color before I
wonder whether it would be a better idea to fork some UI themes (metacity,
gtk, icons) specifically for those on older hardware.

on the other hand, if you're encountering problems on 13 or 15 bit color
depths, please let me know and maybe we can fix what's wrong.

yh

ps. another option would be to offer several default themes--i was already
thinking about a pixmap free non-striped version (with gradients however),
and now it seems a flat color version might also be worthwhile...