[ubuntu-art] freshened metacity theme

Young Hahn youngjin.hahn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 00:04:37 GMT 2006

Well that is a lot of good criticism, so to take it piece by piece...

For now, please focus on the metacity theme as I am not working on
wallpapers/gtk themes/panel in earnest. (Maybe later?)

In terms of usability, I think the metacity theme should achieve a couple of
different things:

1. The window that is focused must be apparent.
2. The window frames should be visible for users that are not familiar with
hidden frames that allow resizing.
3. The buttons and their actions should be easy to spot and easy to
understand.
4. The theme should be consistent with the rest of the UI.

I very much agree with your comment about the size of the buttons. I am a
little hesitant to modify their color towards an Ubuntu brown as it will
make them harder to spot quickly--but perhaps their color is something that
can be explored a bit more.

As for the clean simplicity of mist--I would agree with your suggestions if
it were to be expected that the gtk theme and other UI elements would also
tone down their beveling, gradients, and other flare. But as it is, having a
minimalist WM theme will not jive well with a more visually complex UI.

As for attempting a radical departure from Breezy or other UIs--this is an
interesting idea but I think requires the assent of the community. I believe
a conservative and reasonable goal is to produce a theme that seems familiar
to current users but cleaned up or touched up. A more ambitious goal is to
do a total rehaul of the UI, something that does not seem like a reasonable
Dapper goal. One aspect of usability that I think is important is
recognizing what conventional features of a UI most people expect. And in
this sense, computer users in general expect and are not confused by beveled
edges, window borders, and the triad of buttons. So maybe it would be a good
idea to start looking at larger changes for the release after Dapper.

Ok, I've said a lot. I hope to get some of the suggestions about the buttons
implemented tonight and I'll have that up soon. And many thanks for the
feedback : )

yh