[ubuntu-art] Progress update on the community process

Michiel Sikma michiel at thingmajig.org
Sun Aug 13 16:08:34 BST 2006

On Aug 13, 2006, at 4:12 PM, Étienne Bersac wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> I don't think I can use the same rounding for the progress bars.
>
> Ok, you're right. I distinct two kind of rounding :
>
>       * One for scrollbars and sliders
>       * One for buttons, combo and progressbar
>
> Obviously, progressbar has a very small radius. That would be nice to
> have a radius similar to buttons. That would distinct it from OS X.

I personally distinct it differently; but now that I've done some
testing, it seems that I might need to remove some of the rounding
from the buttons anyway. Some small buttons don't really benefit from
such rounded buttons, as the theme system unfortunately doesn't
discern between big and small buttons, e.g. the small "desktop"
button to the bottom-left.

Personally, I actually think that the rounding is okay on all the
other elements. I'll try to make the buttons' rounding radius one
pixel smaller. I want to try and keep everything as similar as
possible for consistency reasons.

>> I wanted to keep the window frame a little brownish in order to have
>> more contrast for the title. Orange didn't have as good a contrast.
>> But yeah, I'll try this out more thoroughly.
>
> Did you test the contrast of progress bar ? Can use the same gradient
> for metacity title and progress bar ? Same gradient may give an
> overall
> consistency even with slightly different colours.

Yeah, the progress bar is just too bright. I've done some testing,
though:

http://www.gamingw.net/pubaccess/28695/metacitytest.png

(Note: only a part of the top of the window frame is different, and
the rest is all unchanged.)

What do you think about this? I kind of like it, but on the other
hand I disagree with making the whole design even _more_ saturated.
It just keeps getting more and more color-heavy. Might have to tone
that down later on in the process.

> Also, have you tryed using only brown ? a brown like the current
> metacity title (caramel) or like the brown you use for your metacity
> title ?
>
> Thanks.

I will try that as well. It might work out. Both brown and orange are
okay colors from my perspective, as they're very distinctive and nice
colors.

Michiel Sikma
michiel at thingmajig.org