[ubuntu-art] Progress update on the community process

Michiel Sikma michiel at thingmajig.org
Thu Aug 10 16:43:12 BST 2006

Op 10-aug-2006, om 17:36 heeft Who het volgende geschreven:

>> I too am wondering about the technical aspects of the Human theme/
>> engine. I've worked out a possible future theme for Human before
>> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Specs/PolishHumanGTKTheme/
>> Incoming#head-f092ea306a546788b86b8227a87ef7faa5ba78de - direct link
>> to picture here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Specs/
>> PolishHumanGTKTheme/Incoming?
>> action=AttachFile&do=get&target=michielgtk3.png - it's an early
>> version).
>>

> That is nice - I love the progressbars and the idea of using orange on
> the dropdown boxes (though I worry these are a little to similar to
> OSX widgets) but imo the very slight rounding that we have on the
> buttons at the moment is better than the larger radious curves on your
> mock up. Did you consider using glassy scrollbars?

I agree that they're kind of Aqua-like, and I've considered redoing
them, but I decided that I personally don't find it that bad. This is
just how it came to me, and I'm not going to let prior art get in the
way of what I believe to be an okay design. Still a little rough
around the edges, though.

I also kind of like the new rounding on the buttons. For one also
because it seems like the old rounding was a little sharply anti-
aliased.

I also just updated the scroll bars with a picture below the first
one, but I'm not really happy with them yet. When I get home tonight
I'll remake them in white glass style.

>> Of course, what I've made is only a suggestion, but if it turns out
>> that some would like to see some of those things in the final version
>> of the Human theme polishing, we're left wondering whether it's
>> possible at all to do such changes.
>>
>> I myself still know nothing about making themes. I made that mock-up
>> hoping that someone would pick it up and make it into a real, working
>> theme in case the need is there.
>
> Well, Cimi seems to have been reading the list recently _and_ making
> Murrine and Candido engines - which I believe to be derived from
> Clearlooks in the same way Human is...Perhaps we can entice him into
> submitting the odd patch ;)

It might be necessary! That would be awesome, too. Maybe then he can
hack up some way to get the corners of the window to be anti-aliased?
That seems to be the only part of the entire system that isn't nicely
"21st century"-anti-aliased (really, jaggies are so last century). ;)

Michiel