[ubuntu-art] Orange

Pascal Klein 4pascal at tpg.com.au
Fri Apr 14 04:16:17 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 16:17 -0700, Steven Johnson wrote:
> I just don't get it!

Please read up on discussions in regard to your email before posting
another email about this. It has been discussed and argued over many
times before, that it has gotten quite bothersome.

> Why not light brown and light green?

Why not purple? Why not indigo? Why not black?

Because we decided on the colour palette that has been adopted since
Warty and we have stuck with it - earthy colours.

I'm going to paste some things from earlier emails:

If Ubuntu followed a blue-ish trend then I have the feeling we would be
getting complaints from other people just about the same thing:
colouration. I accept that many people prefer blue above brown, or grey
above orange, but this is one of the things that sets Ubuntu apart from
other distributions. We've moved to orange now, as evident in the
Metacity and GTK themes, and that's it. Same goes for the icon sets. The
new Human icon as well as Tangerine both use orange as a primary colour.
Changing to another primary colour would require so much work on artwork
alone that we would have to delay Dapper again, probably for longer and
with no guarantee that the work would look reasonable in the end nor
that users will like it.

I think this is a good thing. We've made the decision to stick with
these new shades and lots of work has been done based on that decision.
If we were to change main shades now it would be a lot of work to re-do
the work we have already done.

The only thing we really need to change is simply the amount of critique
on the work that has been done and instead do some work work ourselves.
I suppose though I am not a decent example of this at the moment, so
yea... Would be nice though. :)

> [...] I see whats going on here, since I have been following Ubuntu
> since Warty.  You want to get peoples attention with these bright ugly
> colors, but guess what-you already have our attention.  Please
> consider using light brown and light green for the default colors.
> Who would disagree with these colors?

I would, for the reasons mentioned above.

> These are my reasons:
>
> 1. Light brown and light Green is not Blue ;)
> 2. Earthly colors and I do not think it would offend Ubuntu users
> 3. Orange is not a universally liked color
>
> I know I can change the theme to whatever color(s) I want, but I want
> Ubuntu to be the best and to be the best you have to look like the
> best.

I think we're doing great how things are going.

> Thank you,

Cheers,
Pascal