[ubuntu-art] Tangerine in universe
bersace03 at laposte.net
Wed Apr 5 22:04:24 BST 2006
I'm very please to see the incoming Tangerine icon set in dapper repo.
I made a screenshot of both theme face to face at http://
I made a test with my father. 54 years old. Wear quite fat glasses.
Windows user since at least 15 years. Unable to switch to Office
2003, still using Office 2000. That is a real end user :)
I show him the comparative picture linked above, and ask him to
choose his prefered icon theme.
He choose Tangerine for two main reasons :
- accessibility, clareté, understandable icons.
- No agressive color.
He also note that "ssh", "ftp" are disturbing. Especially for tiny
icons. The sharp orange label are too agressive.
- Tango is clearly better in tiny icons. Far more readable. See
Home, networke dir, mounted disk, desktop icons, Windows Network,
etc. That's very important.
- Both are not very consistent with the title bar : Human is too
saturate, Tangerine not enough. As Tangerine follow spec for colour,
that will be good to have a complete tangerine/Tango compliant theme
(including at least metacity theme).
- Tangerine has a slight glassy effect. That's not glassy enough to
fit Mark taste :)
- Using tangerine does not change some toolbar icons such as home,
- Tiny tangerine icons are too desaturated. That does not fit the
global palette. OTOH, that allow more readable icons.
- the update stock icon is yellow. blue is more readable.
- screen background are too dark in Tangerine.
Tango was designed with professionnal goals. That's not funky
artwork. That is the professionnal artwork for a very polished desktop.
I wish to see tangoish used as default iconset.
More information about the ubuntu-art