[ubuntu-art] Re: (Yet another) new logout dialog

Who mailforwho at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 4 16:57:37 BST 2006

On 4/4/06, Petr Tomeš <ptomes at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/4/4, Sandis Neilands <sandisn at gmail.com>:
> > I agree with you. So far i haven't seen any advantage in using
> > ubuntu's custom logout instead of gnome's default. I know this is
> > unpopular but
> > 1) If the new logout doesn't solve more (or more important) problems
> > than it creates or
> > 2) we are victims of NIH syndrome
> > then we should ditch it and revert to default.
>
> I fully support your idea.

I think that the new logout dialog (I.E the one with the description)

1. Is very professional (especially the way it appears when the power
button is pressed)
2. Very clearly describes what each option does, which is important
for new users and the kind of 'average joe' users Ubuntu wishes to
attract and keep.
3. Doesn't add any more clicks than it took to shut down with the old
dialog in order to shutdown

And if I were to improve it I would change the following - which make
life quicker and easier for regular/power users.

1. When the power button is pushed _twice_ the computer shuts down
2. On start-up (of the dialog) one icon should be selected so that
pushing Enter does that action. This should be either: always 'Shut
Down', or the option the use rlast used
3. (going too far and overcomplicating things) Icons should be
drag/dropable on to the desktop/panel so that you can
logout/shutdown/hibernate etc without using that dialog.

All I would change is the name in the system menu - and make it 'Leave
the Computer'