[ubuntu-art] Another Wallpaper Proposals

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 02:43:58 CDT 2005

On 9/28/05, Nikolai Dunkel <n.dunkel at gmail.com> wrote:

> I heard that we were supposed to explicitly tell people about our
> proposals...well then I'd like to "propose" my four wallpapers that
> I've uploaded to art.ubuntu.com as well!

I'll throw in my two cents. :o) Personally I like the illustrations,
particularly the mask in this wallpaper:

http://art.ubuntu.com/backgrounds/ubuntu/26

*but* (there's always a but, right?), my own feeling is that they may
be too complicated and/or culturally specific to be used as the
defaults for the distro. That's just my own opinion though, so if
others feel differently about them, let us know.

One thing to look forward to (at least I'm looking forward to it) is
the future of the "gnome-art" app tied in with art.ubuntu.com and
possibly part of a default Ubuntu desktop install. That will be the
next best thing to having one's artwork directly in the distro, as
people will be able to browse and install AUC (art.ubuntu.com) artwork
with just a few clicks of the mouse.

Another suggestion I would make to you Nikolai, would be to release
SVG versions of your wallpapers. In Inkscape, just leave everything
as-is, but delete the background - making it transparent. That way,
people that like your illustrations but not your color schemes could
choose whatever background colors they want, and your graphics would
sit on top of that. Just a thought. :o)

I really appreciate your enthusiasm here, and I'm glad you decided to
become a part of our team!

--
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - http://www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu