[ubuntu-art] Where can I get the default boot screen image?

Seth Hasani sepheebear at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 14:24:38 GMT 2005

<quote who="Ville Sokk" on Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 07:08:39AM EST>

> > On za, 2005-12-17 at 11:25 +0200, Ville Sokk wrote:
> >> I think it's called usplash? Anyways I want to try fixing the dithering
> >> on
> >> it. It's not bad, but I have been pixelling quite a long and I think I
> >> could work very good with low-color images. Could someone tell me where
> >> is
> >> the image located or send it to me?
> >
> > apt-get source usplash

> What am I supposed to do with that???? I want the image!!

After you have done "apt-get source usplash" you will have 3 new things in
your current directory. Two files: usplash_0.1-27.dsc usplash_0.1-27.tar.gz
and a directory: usplash-0.1/

Go into the usplash-0.1 directory and you want to edit the file
usplash-artwork.png to your heart's content.

After that you'll likely want to test the package. If you gotta do it
yourself, install the "dpkg-dev" package if you dont have it already and do
"sudo apt-get build-dep usplash".

My process for quick-building goes something like:
    1. make your changes to usplash-artwork.png but keep the same filename
    2. run "dch -i" from inside usplash-0.1/ and write a quick change line
    3. run "dpkg-buildpackage -uc -b" to build the package
    4. run "sudo dpkg -i ../usplash_0.1-28_i386.deb

You could poke your head into #ubuntu-motu on IRC if you have
problems/questions about the packaging aspect of it, but the manpages are
pretty straightforward.

Seth