[ubuntu-art] Metacity Idea

Matthew Nuzum mattnuzum at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 18:50:46 GMT 2005

On 12/7/05, Viper550 <gthompson at cogeco.ca> wrote:
> Ville Soak wrote:
> > The buttons look like vista :S I don't like that. But I'm not a member of
> > the art team (yet) too :)
> >

> Yes, they do look like Vista, but don't forget that we've been imitating
> Windows for ages! Motif Window Manager and CDE kinda looks like the
> Windows 3.1 interface, KDE 1.0 and 3.5 kinda looks like Windows 9x and
> XP, and any theme that has a Minimize button, a Restore button, and an
> Close button in that order are imitating Windows 9x and above! That
> these days is the industry standard and we know it! Besides, Vista
> buttons are all touching, on the theme it's the first 2, then a space,
> then the exit button.
>
> Viper550

Way back when... there was a lawsuit from Apple against Microsoft for
supposedly mimicking the "look and feel" of the Mac OS.

The Unix/OSS community rallied behind MS. There was a document that I
believe was distributed with Emacs for a while that explained the
details of the lawsuit and why we should hate Apple and support MS.
I've looked for it since then but can't find it. Maybe it's on one of
my old slackware CDs from 1995. There were some other jems in there
too, such as man woman (the manual page for women).

--
Matthew Nuzum
www.bearfruit.org