nvidia-persistenced maintainer script problems

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Mon May 27 18:01:45 UTC 2013

I noticed some problems while reviewing nvidia-persistenced in NEW.  I'd
like to see these fixed before it reaches the archive, to avoid upgrade
problems, so I've rejected the package for now.

 * The postinst uses the low-level useradd tool directly.  This is
   normally a mistake.  I'd recommend depending on adduser and using
   'adduser --system' instead, in order to comply with system user/group
   policies.

 * You have some very strange maintainer script code that fiddles around
   with initctl directly; this will probably cause problems if this
   package ever ends up installed in a chroot, because it doesn't honour
   the normal policy layer.  Please use 'dh_installinit --onlyscripts'
   instead.  If that doesn't work, talk to me or Steve Langasek and
   we'll figure out how to make it work for you.

 * The 'rm -f "$upstart_file"' in the preinst is probably justifiable in
   general, but it must be guarded by something like 'if [ -z "$2" ]' in
   order to avoid discarding user changes on later upgrades.

 * The prerm probably should not remove the job file at all.  Leave that
   to dpkg's standard remove-conffiles-on-purge handling.  (In
   combination with using dh_installinit, this should mean you can
   remove debian/prerm entirely.)

Thanks,