REJECT: openerp6.1

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 9 13:39:12 UTC 2012

Hello Yolanda,

Yolanda Robla [2012-07-09 15:28 +0200]:
> The idea is that OpenERP can be used locally or remotely, and we
> thought that should be simpler if we used password authentication.
> That's the reason why we are using that approach.
> So do you prefer that i ask for the password in debconf? Maybe also
> ask about the server for the postgres database (localhost or remote
> host) ?

I do not know whether it makes more sense to use a local or a remote
DB and what is more common for real-life scenarios of OpenERP.

Perhaps you should ask a debconf question whether the admin wants to
connect to a remote DB. If so, you need to enter the server, db user,
and db password via debconf. If not, you can just set up local ident
authentication (i. e. not set up psql at all, just create an openerp
system user and a matching postgresql DB user).

The dependencies of the server package should also reflect that: If
installing openerp automatically pulls in PostgreSQL as a Recommends:
(it should not be a strong Depends: either way), then you can even
default to "local" mode. That will make it slightly harder for admins
to switch to a remote DB, though.

Martin