rejecting myunity

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 24 21:10:08 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:57:26AM +0100, Andrea Colangelo wrote:
> > Also has it been discussed with upstream Unity?  E.g. to find out if
> > the setting options used stable or liable to change or if the features
> > are likely to be needed at all given Unity's goal of being more
> > configurable for Precise?
>
> I don't think upstream developers (I'm just the packager, not part of
> the development team) discussed it with Unity team. Anyway, I'm not
> sure I agree with you on this being a reason not to accept MyUnity.
> Archive is plenty of programs who change other programs' configuration
> via gconf/gsettings/something_else. E.g.: were gnome-tweak-tools
> developers asked to get in touch with GNOME before accepting gtt?
> Further, just to stay around gtt: many of the settings gtt modifies
> are modifiable through other tools, and despite that gtt is still in
> the archive. What do you think about that?

I'm just making a suggestion in the hope that it'll avoid a package
being soon obsoleted or broken.  It's not a requirement to acceptance
for me.  We will reject "tweaking" applications if they are likely to
do anything dangerous (automatrix, ubuntu-tweak etc) but discussions
within the archive admin team suggest that's not the case here.

Jonathan