reject of php5 5.3.3-1ubuntu5 binaries

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 23 20:43:57 BST 2010

Hi Mathias,

The 5.3.3-1ubuntu5 upload of php5 introduces a new binary package
php5-sybase-dbg with the following rationale:

   * Drop sybase libraries to universe:
     Move debugging libraries to php5-sybase-dbg:
     - debian/control:
       + create php5-sybase-dbg package.
       + drop php5-sybase as php5-dbg dependency.
     - debian/rules: move sybase debugging libraries to php5-sybase-dbg.

So my understanding is that you intend, by moving the php5-sybase debug
symbols out of php5-dbg into a separate package, that php5-dbg no longer
needs to depend on php5-sybase, which can then be moved to universe; thereby
allowing the freetds source package (which builds libsybdb5) to also be
demoted to universe.

This won't work.

In order to build php5-sybase at all, freetds-dev needs to be in main;
pulling freetds source and all its binaries into main with it.  So this
change doesn't achieve the stated purpose, and adds an extra delta with
Debian.

I'm therefore rejecting this binary upload out of the NEW queue, since
you'll just want to revert it in the next upload anyway.

Thanks,