reject of avidemux 1:2.5.0-0.0ubuntu1

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 13 20:49:36 BST 2009

Hi Alessio,

I'm rejecting the avidemux 1:2.5.0-0.0ubuntu1 package from binary NEW
because it introduces a new runtime library package with an inappropriate
name, "libavidemux".  Under Ubuntu Policy 8.1:

     The run-time shared library needs to be placed in a package whose name
     changes whenever the shared object version changes.[1] The most common
     mechanism is to place it in a package called
     `<libraryname><soversion>', where `<soversion>' is the version number
     in the soname of the shared library[2].

The 'libavidemux' name implies that this is not being done, so I'm not
willing to accept the package into the archive under that name.  *If* the
libraries contained in this package will all have their sonames incremented
in lockstep (which seems unlikely), then picking a single serial to use in
the package name is fine; otherwise the libraries should each be packaged in
their own binary package, corresponding to the soname.

Lintian also gives a number of error messages about shared libraries
included in libavidemux that aren't mentioned in the shlibs at all:

E: libavidemux: shlib-missing-in-control-file libADM_core.so for usr/lib/libADM_core.so
E: libavidemux: shlib-missing-in-control-file libADM_coreImage.so for usr/lib/libADM_coreImage.so
E: libavidemux: shlib-missing-in-control-file libADM_smjs.so for usr/lib/libADM_smjs.so
E: libavidemux: shlib-missing-in-control-file libADM_coreAudio.so for usr/lib/libADM_coreAudio.so
E: libavidemux: shlib-missing-in-control-file libADM_coreUI.so for usr/lib/libADM_coreUI.so

These libraries don't have versioned sonames at all, so perhaps the omission
from the shlibs file is deliberate, but in that case why are they included
in a library package and shipped in /usr/lib?  Please look at this issue as
well when addressing the above package naming problem.

Thanks,