outdate reporting script that does universe/multiverse too

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Fri Apr 3 21:21:55 BST 2009

Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 09:42:16PM +0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> I've written a script that, based on Packages and Sources files,
>> produces equivalent output to
>> http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/testing/jaunty_outdate.txt, but
>> does it for universe/multiverse too.
>>
>> It is at:
>> https://code.launchpad.net/~maxb/+junk/ubuntu-archive-reporting
>>
>> In the interests of best demonstrating its correctness, I have made its
>> format a near-complete match to the current outdate report, though,
>> especially in the case of source packages generating very many binaries,
>> this isn't particularly readable. I'm open to rewriting bits of it.
>
> This looks great, thanks! I've tweaked it for the archive layout on
> cocoplum, and installed it to output to the following two URLs:
>
>   http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/testing/jaunty_outdate_all.txt
>   http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/testing-ports/jaunty_outdate_all.txt
>
>> I was thinking of adding Packages-arch-specific parsing to it, to
>> highlight one particular cause of persistent outdates. Would that most
>> usefully be done as part of the same report, or an entirely separate output?
>
> If it can easily be an existing column in the same report, I think that
> would be fine and might save some confusion trying to track down build
> failures that don't exist.

To celebrate Celso fixing Soyuz' interpretation of P-a-s
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/311952), I have an update (in the same
bzr branch) which appends:
  [P-a-s: <architecture list>, <reason given in comment if any>]
to each report line.

Example:
amiga-fdisk 0.04-12 amiga-fdisk-cross(i386) 0.04-11 from 0.04-11
[universe] [P-a-s: m68k powerpc, m68k/powerpc specific]

The addition requires that the script be configured with the filename of
a suitable Packages-arch-specific file to read.

Max.