GNU's Affero General Public License (AGPLv3)

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 5 12:29:28 BST 2008

Hi Arc,

Arc Riley [2008-09-05  4:51 -0400]:
> The AGPLv3 section 13 does not require you to host the modified code on your
> server, only "a network server".  Free code-hosting services including
> Launchpad, Savannah, Gna!, and Sourceforge are more than sufficient.

Right, I understood that. But that makes it just differently difficult for
server admins, since then they have to register somewhere, find out
how to put files there, etc.

> Note the text in section 13; "through some standard or customary means of
> facilitating copying of software."  It is very customary to provide a diff
> when your modification is a two-line patch, and thus this is more than
> sufficient.

If that suffices, it's certainly much more practical indeed.

> Of course mistakes will be made, a license overlooked, this happens
> already.  If a project is not in compliance a simple notification email is
> all that should be needed, same as with the GPL.

Yeah, I don't expect huge lawsuits be kicked off due to that either.

Thank you for your clarifications!

Martin