Non-source files in miniracer?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 18 06:39:18 BST 2007

Hi Stephane,

Stéphane Graber [2007-06-15 17:51 +0200]:
> On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 12:19 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > Hi Stephane,
> >
> > data/ contains some binary files *.pak and *.bsp. Are these in the
> > 'prefered form of modification' as mandated by the GPL?
> >
> > If so, can you please point me to a level editor that directly works
> > on those files?
> >
> > If not, these files cannot be shipped under the GPL without providing
> > the source for them.
> >
> > I left it in the NEW queue for now.
> >
> > Martin
> >

> Ok, more details about those files :
> .bsp is the output of a tool called GtkRadiant (a mapping tool for Quake
> 1/2/3 + several other games based on the Quake engine), it's a somewhat
> compiled file, the source file being the .map (which you can download on
> miniracer.sf.net (see below))
>
> the .pak is a Quake 1/2 archive, which is generated by a tool provided
> on miniracer website, it contains the textures and other design files
> (map information and sounds)

Thanks for those investigations. Thus the .map files and original
texture images, sounds, etc. are the 'source' for .bsp and .pak.

> I don't really know how I'm supposed to package something like that,
> looking at the licences everything is under GPL in this archive as well
> and the .bsp is the output of GtkRadiant (you can get the .map from
> a .bsp but that's not easy as I understood, anyway the .map is
> provided).

If you include the .map, textures, etc., i. e.  everything that you
stuff into that tool on the website (the .pak generator) into the
orig.tar.gz, then it seems fine to me. You do not need to put those
into the .debs of course, they just need to be present in the source
package.

Thanks,

Martin

--