New user

mohamed at farag.org mohamed at farag.org
Wed Aug 13 21:43:43 BST 2008

Quoting Tamer Mekhimar <mikamer2002 at yahoo.com>:

> ?????? ????? ????? ???? ???????
> Good Morning Everybody,

?????? ?????? ????? ???? ???????

> I am a new user to Linux OS. I also have some questions about its
> compatibility with other software esp. chatting program and Arabic
> reviewing.

Chatting programs are there .. safer, flexible, and you can easily ask
for new features to be added, and will find programmers listen to you
and your feature will be there in next releases!

Some of the greatest:

aMSN
http://www.amsn-project.net/download.php

Pidgin
http://www.pidgin.im/

Kopete
http://kopete.kde.org/

Skype

and more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Linux_instant_messaging_clients

All support Arabic text as I remember..and many support multiple
identities (under same protocol, like more than one msn account
running at same time), and also multiple protocols (so you sign-in in
Yahoo, Google, ICQ, etc. using same program).

  that is to say that if i am writing a doc in  Arabic can
> I have the feature to check spelling. In Word I press F7 for that.
> The other thing I have seen the Linux OS and I really like to use
> and be expert with such OS. Can you help me in that regard.

Spell checkers are not an easy software to develop..it needs huge work
of linguists, localization engineers, dictionaries, etc.
I am not sure if there is an open source Arabic spell checker in
development or not, but don't let this single feature discourage you
from using Linux...

There sure will be one there sooner or later..and there might be there
but needs some search on the web..for example: an individual
programmer might did it but we don't know..and he didn't announce
about it!

One more
> question about the command line and the terms like shell and kernel.
>  What are they mean?

Command line is like DOS prompt. you just type the command on your
keyboard on a black screen (the shell) and the system executes the
command. It's not hard to learn. Just few English orders to your
computer :)

Salam
Mohamed