New lens tutorial

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 27 09:20:33 UTC 2012

Al 27/09/12 01:51, En/na Ivan Sagalaev ha escrit:
> Hello everyone!
>
> My name is Ivan, I'm a (mostly Python) developer recently interested in
> creating a new Unity lens. The Wikipedia lens tutorial[1] was my main
> inspiration but I ended up rewriting pretty much all of the code. I also
> wasn't completely happy with the tutorial itself so I decided to turn my
> lens into another one (I can elaborate on specifics if needed).

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your feedback and do let us know when your own tutorial is
finished, as you might want to publish it in developer.ubuntu.com as well :)

> I have a few questions along the way. My code doesn't use
> python-unity-singlet to define a lens for a few reasons:
>
> - The library is licensed under GPL and I didn't want to bind my readers
> to its controversies.

You can of course use your own code to create lenses. The reason why we
provide the Quickly lens template and python-unity-singlet is simply to
ease Unity Lenses development. That also means that we will be able to
better support developers with their questions on the code we recommend
and we know best.

Most Ubuntu software is distributed under various versions of the GPL
license. Which particular controversy are you referring to?

> - The library currently has a bug that doesn't allow a lens to react on
> searches from the Dash home.

Would you mind pointing us to the bug?

> - I wanted my tutorial to be a little bit "closer to the metal" and
> overall I like the end result. However the library does a very good job
> at hiding the dark magic of dbus-related incantations. And when I say
> "dark" I really mean "negative-RGB-values-black". Googling around Gnome
> docs revealed only very differently looking stuff that I have a serious
> suspicion of being obsolete.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> - Where do I file a bug and submit a patch against python-unity-singlet?

Michael Hall (on CC) is the main Singlet developer. He will be able to
confirm and provide you better guidance, but I believe you can simply
report them here:

- https://bugs.launchpad.net/singlet

> - What to read (or whom to ask) about Gio.DBusProxy, Gio.BusType,
> new_sync, bus_get_sync, GLib.Variant and other scary things from run_lens?

You'll find some API documentation here:

http://developer.ubuntu.com/api/ubuntu-12.10/python/Gio-2.0.html
http://developer.ubuntu.com/api/ubuntu-12.10/python/GLib-2.0.html

And here:

http://developer.gnome.org/gio