Creating top level windows

David Klasinc bigwhale at lubica.net
Thu Nov 1 18:05:29 UTC 2012

Greetings,

I am trying to create a GtkWindow that would be on top of all the
windows. This includes Unity's Launcher and Panel. I am working on Kazam
screen recorder and one of the options of the program is recording an
arbitrary area of the screen.

For this, I open a Gtk.Window and let user resize it and move it around
the screen to the desired location. The problem is when user wants to
resize the window over the Panel (or Launcher). It can't be done. It
seems that window manager is preventing this.

I can move the window under panel and launcher if I ALT-drag it, but the
problem because area selection window stays below Launcher and Panel.

Any ideas are more than welcome.

PS: I posted the same question to ask ubuntu:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/210639/opening-a-gtk-window-that-covers-launcher-and-panel

Regards,
David