Dependencies from universe repo

Allison Randal allison at lohutok.net
Tue Mar 13 19:17:02 UTC 2012

On 03/13/2012 05:40 AM, Jarek Foksa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can commercial app have packages from universe repository as dependencies?
> To be more specific, I would like to use Node.js for filesystem access
> and Chromium for rendering the UI (started in app mode). Is such
> configuration allowed?

Packages in commercial and extras (the free software equivalent of
commercial) are allowed to depend on packages in universe. See the full
details at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ExtensionRepositoryPolicy

Chromium in app mode would certainly be fine. My only question about
Node.js for filesystem access would be related to the security policy.
Basically, what are you using it for? As long as you're only reading
data/config for the app, and only writing data/config to the user's home
directory, you're fine. We would want to make sure there's no chance of
writing outside the user's home directory, and no chance of reading
privileged files.

Allison