submitting an app to ubuntu software center

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Jun 14 15:18:08 UTC 2012

David Planella writes:
> In short, you will need to:
>
> - Set up a PPA in Launchpad: https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA
> - Create a package and upload it to the PPA
> - Update the feedback form on myapps with a comment pointing to the
> location of your PPA
>
> You will also find additional information here:
>
>     https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AppReviewBoard/Submissions/PPAUploadTips

I had a hard time finding documentation on how to package up a
Python app and turn it into a Launchpad PPA, and the tools tend
to spew messages that make you even more confused. So once I figured
it out, I wrote a pair of howtos. They're Python oriented (you don't
mention what language your kitchen timer uses), but most of the steps
should be similar for other languages.

Use stdeb to make Debian packages for a Python package
(this one is fairly Python-specific):
http://shallowsky.com/blog/programming/python-debian-packages-w-stdeb.html

Creating packages for a Launchpad PPA:
http://shallowsky.com/blog/programming/packaging-launchpad-ppas.html

Presumably none of this will be needed once pkgme is ready to go,
but it might help in the meantime.

Good luck!

	...Akkana