How do I write indicators using Python and GTK3?

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 28 10:09:48 UTC 2012

Al 27/02/12 15:56, En/na Jo-Erlend Schinstad ha escrit:
> I asked this question on AskUbuntu as well, but since there's been no
> answers, I'm repeating it here. The question is identical and can be
> found here:
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/108035/writing-indicators-with-python-gir-and-gtk3

Both the list and Askubuntu are good places to ask. I see you already
got your first answer on Askubuntu :)

What I'd recommend is to add the 'application-development' tag to the
question, so anyone subscribed to that particular tag gets a
notification and they see your question when you post it. I did that for
you on this one yesterday.

Oh, and if you're interested yourself, do subscribe to
'application-development' too! :-)

> I'm writing an application that needs to use an indicator. I've done
> this in the past using PyGTK and GTK2, using as reference this document:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopExperienceTeam/ApplicationIndicators#Python_version
>

> However, that only works with PyGTK and GTK2. Things have changed since
> then, and I need to find some good documentation, a tutorial or a good
> example to learn how it works. If no tutorial exists, then I can write
> one – when I learn how it works. :)

I'm CC'ing Ted Gould and Mike Hall, who might be able to provide more
guidance.

> Also, one thing that the previously mentioned document doesn't describe
> at all, is how to add sub-menus to an indicator. I hope someone can shed
> some light on this, as well as how to integrate with category indicators
> if that's done using the same tool.

There is no existing documentation on this as far as I know, but this
post [1] might provide some guidance until we've got some.

Mike (on CC), Jono and I are currently working on adding some
documentation for Unity app integration in developer.ubuntu.com, which
should help with these questions very soon.

Stay tuned for more new on this soon :)

Cheers,
David.

[1]