Packaging as extras

Allison Randal allison at lohutok.net
Tue Feb 21 00:48:33 UTC 2012

On 02/19/2012 03:30 PM, Víctor Fernández wrote:
> Hello. I would like to know why a program is packaged using extras. I
> don't know exactly what that means and I would like to know, and what
> advantages has it front a normal deb

Free software apps that are submitted through developer.ubuntu.com get
reviewed by the App Review Board, and then released in the Extras
repository (in the Software Center it's called "Independent" software).

Packages in Extras are ordinary .deb format packages, the same as
packages in the rest of Ubuntu (Main, Universe, etc.) What's unique
about Extras is that it requires packages to install in
/opt/extras.ubuntu.com/packagename instead of in /usr/bin or /usr/lib.
This is for security, so we can much more quickly review and verify that
Extras packages aren't interfering with other packages in Ubuntu.

Allison