[Unity-design] Authenticating lenses

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 24 13:57:16 UTC 2012

Den 24. april 2012 15:41, skrev Alan Bell:
> Most of the lenses I want to write are for local applications that
> require authentication. So I might want a lens for OpenERP, for
> Alfresco, for vTiger CRM, for a local bugzilla, or even for
> proprietary stuff, like a SAP lens or a Peoplesoft lens. I don't know
> how to ask the user for credentials. What I kind of want to do is have
> the lens in a dormant state until the user visits the lens and
> provides their configuration information. Something like this:
>
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~alanbell/authlens.png
>
> there are a number of outstanding questions I don't know the answers
> to for this:
>
> Where should the credentials be stored (gnome-keyring?)
>
> What to do if there are multiple scopes providing data for one lens?
>
> How to present oauth type connections?
>
> Has anyone else got lenses that connect to sources that require
> authentication?
>
> Alan

I'll take the opportunity to remind everyone of the
http://lists.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-app-devel mailinglist. (I'm CCing it).

I don't think logging in and that type of stuff should be done in lenses
at all. I'd present the user with a normal dialog if there isn't a valid
OAuth token. But it is an interesting question. Perhaps "Authorization
required" should be seen as messages and added to the message menu with
a red envelope?

Just an idea.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad