Talk ideas

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Sat Oct 22 12:36:48 UTC 2011

but not in the Ubuntu repos?

 >>  Not that I know of. Part of the charter of the ARB is to get any
new, interesting software into Debian asap.

With all due respect to the Debian developers, one of the big things
that attracted me to the Ubuntu Developer Portal was the idea that there
is a formal and, relatively, fast way to get software reviewed and into
a repository. I've had projects that have been confirmed to meet
Debian's packaging guidelines and that have been sponsored by a
maintainer just sit for months waiting for a DD to commit them. One of
them has been waiting for years.

For me, as a developer, one of the big attractions to Ubuntu's approach
is the idea that there is a formal queue which will probably be
processed in a timely manner rather than Debian's "whenever we feel like
it and if we're interested" approach.

Jesse