Advertising applications in software-center to UDS attendees

Jonathan Lange jml at canonical.com
Thu Oct 20 16:38:59 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Jonathan Lange <jml at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM, James Westby <jw+debian at jameswestby.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> UDS is a large gathering of Ubuntu users, and so a great opportunity to
>> let them know about what is on offer in sfotware-center.
>>
>> What ideas do people have for doing this?
>>
>> I realise that time is very short, so we won't be able to do some
>> things, but any idea is welcome, as they could be used for the next UDS
>> instead.
>>

> Ideas eh? Here's one:
>
> We could do a lightning talk.

Another one, that I think I raised somewhere else before that isn't
really UDS specific.

We could have a competition for the best new Ubuntu app, along the
lines of PyWeek[1]. Give people a week to write an app that meets the
suggested theme. We could also take the work from PyWeek and promote
it in the Software Center, if it comes to that.

Although in some ways it would be nice for that week to be UDS week,
UDS is about high-bandwidth conversations for planning the next
release of Ubuntu, not for hacking. We could, however, award prizes at
the next UDS for a competition that takes place sometime in this
cycle.

jml