Advertising applications in software-center to UDS attendees

Jonathan Lange jml at canonical.com
Thu Oct 20 15:42:21 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, October 19, 2011, James Westby wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 14:31:31 +0100, Jonathan Lange <jml at canonical.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > Ideas eh? Here's one:
> >
> > We could do a lightning talk. Put up a pretty graph of how much new
> > software we've received (or downloads or something). Show them a few
> > of the games (maybe mentioning any accolades received), show them some
> > of the best of free software.
>
> Is there a lot of good free software that is in software-center, but not
> in the Ubuntu repos?

Not that I know of. Part of the charter of the ARB is to get any new,
interesting software into Debian asap.

> Perhaps highlighting the fact that we need to build a compelling flow
> for free software to get in to Ubuntu otherwise everyone will make their
> app proprietary (either native, or as a web app) would suit the audience
> that will be there?

That's a good idea. I'm concerned as how it would play against people's
valid concerns about how this challenges what the distribution actually is,
and what role the archive has, etc. It's hard to say something nuanced in 5
mins, and, to be honest, I'm not even sure what I want to advocate there.
 Any thoughts on how to handle that?

jml