Questions about submitting a package

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 18 11:03:31 UTC 2011

Al 07/10/11 17:29, En/na Jesse Smith ha escrit:
> I have been reading the documentation on publishing a package/app and I
> have a few questions about Step 5, packaging the app. Specifically I'm
> curious about:

Hi Jesse,

I'll try to answer the parts that I can. For other bits, I've CC'd some
people who are not subscribed to the list to see if they can give a hand
with the answers.

> 1. "Be in one, self-contained directory." Does this mean my application
> plus any dependencies have to all be packaged together? My app relies on
> the SDL library, which is included in Ubuntu's repository. Do I have to
> include SDL in the package I submit?

I believe so, but I'd recommend waiting for confirmation from someone
from the App Review Board (CC'd).

> 2. "Be able to be installed into /opt/pkgName". By what method? Do I
> need to supply a binary package which will install to this location, or
> are we talking about a source-level flag like "make install-pot"? Can
> the package also install to other locations or must it always be
> installed to /opt/pkgName?

I can't answer for other types of apps, but for an Python app created
with quickly you can use the 'quickly submitubuntu' command, which
should take care of making your package install in /opt

> 3. Does a non-commercial app I submit have to be in binary or source
> format?

A source package or a PPA is the recommended way.

> 4. The video tutorial shows software being published through LaunchPad.
> Since the software already has its own website, do I need to also
> publish on LaunchPad?

You don't need to explicitly use Launchpad, although it will make your
life easier for managing your code and most especially to publish PPAs.

> The only tutorials I can find on the site assume the developer is using
> Python and Quickly. A step-by-step guide to packaging a C/C++ program
> would be really helpful.

We cannot support every single type of combination technologies, so we
picked one and we recommend it as the way to create and publish
applications.

That is for now Quickly, and while any type of app (C/C++, Java, Python,
etc.) that follows the ARB criteria is eligible for publication, Quickly
is currently the only easy path to pull together all the tools you'll
need from creation to publication.

You are free to use other combinations of programming languages, build
systems, etc., which is one of the advantages of open source software,
but it also means that it will be slightly harder to create and package
your app.

As per the step-by-step packaging guide, we're currently working on
tools that should make packaging much easier for developers, indeed
we're aiming to automatically package applications, so for this reason
right now there is not much weight on packaging info on the app
developer site. We'd like developers to focus in what's fun: to create
apps and write code, rather than having to spend time on the most
mechanical bits such as setting up the build system or packaging.

That said, if you'd like to contribute, we've got a great area for
community involvement on writing tutorials, so if you'd like to write
any guide, just let me know, your help will be greatly appreciated!

http://developer.ubuntu.com/resources/tutorials/all/

Cheers,
David.