What is the policy regarding for-pay free software in the software center?

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 19:53:51 UTC 2011

Hello everyone.

I've been thinking about myapps and selling software in the software
center. A thought occurred to me, that if I sell an app that is GPLed,
then other people would have a legal right to change its name and resell
it. How is that handled by Canonical? Could someone purchase my app,
rename it, upload it to the myapps portal and set a lower price, for
instance? Because that would be destructive.

I couldn't see anything in the agreement about that. Actually, I think
we could use some more information about how selling free software
works. It would be nice to be able to sell software, but that doesn't
mean I'm willing to go proprietary.

Thanks.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad