Ubuntu 10.10 Beta (Maverick Meerkat) Released
robbie at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 2 23:50:39 BST 2010
The Ubuntu team is pleased to announce the release of Ubuntu 10.10
Codenamed "Maverick Meerkat", 10.10 continues Ubuntu's proud tradition
of integrating the latest and greatest open source technologies into a
high-quality, easy-to-use Linux distribution.
Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop Edition and Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Edition continue
the trend of ever-faster boot speeds, with improved startup times and a
smoother, streamlined boot experience.
Ubuntu 10.10 Server Edition provides even better integration of the
Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud, with its install-time cloud setup.
Ubuntu 10.10 Server for UEC and EC2 brings the power and stability of
the Ubuntu Server Edition to cloud computing, whether you're using
Amazon EC2 or your own Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud.
The Ubuntu 10.10 family of Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, Ubuntu Studio,
and Mythbuntu, also reach beta status today.
Ubuntu Desktop features
The GNOME base platform has been updated to the current 2.31 versions.
This includes the new dconf and gsettings API.
Evolution was updated to the 2.30.2 version, which operates much faster
than the version in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
Shotwell has replaced F-Spot as the default photo manager.
Gwibber has been updated to support the recent change in Twitter's
authentication system, as well as changing the back end storage to
The Sound Indicator has been enhanced to include music player controls.
The Ubuntu Software Center has an updated look and feel, including the
new "Featured" and "What's New" views for showcasing applications, and
an improved package description view. You can now easily access your
package installation history too.
New Design: The boot process is cleaner and faster. New themes, new
icons, and new wallpaper bring a dramatically updated look and feel to
Ubuntu One: Polished desktop integration with new sign up and sign in
process. Tighter integration with Ubuntu SSO. Nautilus enhancements for
managing folder sync preferences. Faster file sync speed. Share links to
music within the Ubuntu One Music Store.
Please see http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/maverick/beta for details.
Ubuntu Server features
Cloud computing: The configurable initialization process for Ubuntu
Server cloud images (cloud-init) has gained new features in Maverick
Beta, including pluggable hooks, ebsmount, ext4 support, and new stanzas
in the cloud-config format. Cloud image instances can now manage their
own kernel and upgrade kernels with apt. This is done by using pv-grub,
provided by Amazon.
Ubuntu Netbook features
The new Unity interface is now the default in Ubuntu Netbook Edition. It
includes the global menu bar. The date/time indicator now has a real
The standard photo management application has been switched to
For Maverick, Kubuntu have merged the Desktop and Netbook images into
one. Ubiquity, Kubuntu's installer, will detect the screen size before
the install and use either the Plasma Desktop workplace or the Plasma
Netbook workplace as needed. Users will be able to switch between the
two in System Settings.
Plasma Netbook now sports the Global Menu by default.
The standard web browser is now Rekonq, a KDE browser based on Qt
Bluedevil has become the default bluetooth stack.
Pulseaudio is the default sound server.
KPackageKit updates bring a faster backend and an updated UI that
provides a new Categories page, and new features such as a
backup/restore tool for the list of installed packages.
Kubuntu's installer (Ubiquity) now has updated look and layout.
Qapt-batch now replaces install-package as the update/batch-installer
KDE Platform, Workspaces, and Applications were updated to 4.5.0 (the
recently released 4.5.1 update could not be integrated before beta
release and will arrive shortly).
Qt was updated to the current 4.7 beta release.
See https://wiki.kubuntu.org/MaverickMeerkat/Beta/Kubuntu for more
Xfce4 was updated to the current 4.6.2 release.
New default applications include: Parole (Xfce4 Media Player), replacing
Totem Movie Player; Xfburn (Xfce4 CD/DVD burning tool), replacing
Brasero; and xfce4-taskmanager (Xfce4 process manager), replacing
Edubuntu now includes Gnome Nanny, which provides parental controls in
Edubuntu. There is new wallpaper included (periodic table breakout). In
addition, an OEM Install mode is now available.
For those interested in learning more, there's a new web site as well.
Check out http://www.edubuntu.org.
Ubuntu Studio features
In this release, Ubuntu Studio has better integration between Pulse
Audio and JACK. JACK and Pulse Audio can now be used side-by-side if
they are using different audio interfaces. If they are trying to use the
same audio interface, JACK will take precedent. The network connections
can now be configured with gnome-network-admin.
In this release, Mythbuntu has updated to MythTV 0.23.1.
There is also a new backup and restore tool.
* On the Desktop: GNOME 2.31, KDE 4.5.0b, Xfce 4.6.2, OpenOffice.org
3.2.1, X.org server 7.5
* On the Server: Apache 2.2.16, PostgreSQL 8.4.4, PHP 5.3.3, LTSP 5.2.4
* "Under the hood": Linux 126.96.36.199, GCC 4.4.4 (default) / 4.5.1
(optional), eglibc 2.12.1, Python 2.6.6 (default) / 3.1.2 (optional)
The full release notes can be found at
Ubuntu is a full-featured Linux distribution for desktops, laptops, and
servers, with a fast and easy installation and regular releases. A
tightly-integrated selection of excellent applications is included, and
an incredible variety of add-on software is just a few clicks away.
Professional technical support is available from Canonical Limited and
hundreds of other companies around the world. For more information
about support, visit http://www.ubuntu.com/support
To Get Ubuntu 10.10 Beta
To upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10 Beta from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS,
follow these instructions:
Or, download Ubuntu 10.10 Beta; The following link will direct you to a
download location near you:
Or, choose the mirror closest to you:
* http://ubuntu.mirror.ac.za/ubuntu-release/10.10 (South Africa)
* http://ubuntu.saix.net/ubuntu-releases/10.10 (South Africa)
* http://mirrors.sohu.com/ubuntu-releases/10.10 (China)
* http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/ubuntu-iso/CDs/10.10 (Japan)
* http://ubuntutym2.u-toyama.ac.jp/ubuntu/10.10 (Japan)
* http://ftp.kaist.ac.kr/ubuntu-cd/10.10 (Korea, Republic of)
* http://ubuntu.qualitynet.net/releases/10.10 (Kuwait)
* http://mirror.yandex.ru/ubuntu-releases/10.10 (Russian Federation)
* http://tw.releases.ubuntu.com/10.10 (Taiwan)
* http://ftp.linux.org.tr/ubuntu-releases/10.10 (Turkey)
* http://ubuntu.lagis.at/releases/10.10 (Austria)
* http://ftp.mgts.by/pub/ubuntu-releases/10.10 (Belarus)
* http://ubuntu.ipacct.com/releases/10.10 (Bulgaria)
* http://hr.releases.ubuntu.com/10.10 (Croatia)
* http://releases.ubuntu.cz/releases/10.10 (Czech Republic)
* http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/ubuntu-cd/10.10 (Denmark)
* http://ftp.estpak.ee/pub/ubuntu-releases/10.10 (Estonia)
* http://ubuntu.trumpetti.atm.tut.fi/releases/10.10 (Finland)
* http://ubuntu.mirrors.proxad.net/10.10 (France)
* http://ubuntu.mirror.tudos.de/ubuntu-releases/10.10 (Germany)
* http://gb.releases.ubuntu.com/10.10 (Great Britain)
* http://mirror.greennet.gl/releases/10.10 (Greenland)
* http://speglar.simnet.is/ubuntu-releases/10.10 (Iceland)
* http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu-releases/10.10 (Ireland)
* http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/ubuntu-releases/10.10 (Italy)
* http://ubuntu.mirror.root.lu/ubuntu-releases/10.04 (Luxembourg)
* http://nl.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/10.10 (Netherlands)
* http://no.releases.ubuntu.com/10.10 (Norway)
* http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu-releases/10.10 (Poland)
* http://cesium.di.uminho.pt/pub/ubuntu/10.10 (Portugal)
* http://ftp.astral.ro/mirrors/ubuntu.com/releases/10.10 (Romania)
* http://rs.releases.ubuntu.com/10.10 (Serbia)
* http://ubuntu.cica.es/releases/10.10 (Spain)
* http://se.releases.ubuntu.com/10.10 (Sweden)
* http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/ubuntu-releases/10.10 (Canada)
* http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs/10.10 (United States)
* http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/ubuntu-releases/10.00 (United States)
* http://ubuntu.osuosl.org/releases/10.10 (United States)
* http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/ubuntu/releases/10.10 (Australia)
* http://mirror.linux.org.au/ubuntu-releases/10.10 (Australia)
* http://releases.ubuntu.nautile.nc/10.10 (New Caledonia)
* http://ftp.citylink.co.nz/ubuntu-releases/10.10 (New Zealand)
* http://mirror.pop-sc.rnp.br/mirror/ubuntu/10.10 (Brazil)
* http://ubuntu.c3sl.ufpr.br/releases/10.10 (Brazil)
Please download using Bittorrent if possible.
The final version of Ubuntu 10.10 is expected to be released in October
Feedback and Participation
If you would like to help shape Ubuntu, take a look at the list of ways
can participate at
Your comments, bug reports, patches and suggestions will help turn this
Beta into the best release of Ubuntu ever. Please note that, where
possible, we prefer that bugs be reported using the tools provided,
than by visiting Launchpad directly. Instructions can be found at
If you have a question, or if you think you may have found a bug but are
sure, first try asking on the #ubuntu IRC channel on freenode, on the
Users mailing list, or on the Ubuntu forums:
You can find out more about Ubuntu and about this preview release on our
website, IRC channel and wiki. If you are new to Ubuntu, please visit:
To sign up for future Ubuntu announcements, please subscribe to Ubuntu's
very low volume announcement list at:
Robbie Williamson robbie at ubuntu.com
"You can't be lucky all the time, but you can be smart everyday"
"Arrogance is thinking you are better than everyone else, while
Confidence is knowing no one else is better than you." -Me ;)
More information about the ubuntu-announce