Announcing Ubuntu 4.10 Preview

Benj. Mako Hill mako at canonical.com
Wed Sep 15 12:50:02 CDT 2004

Most of you receiving this mail registered for the low-traffic
announcement list at no-name-yet.com. This is our first announcement!
Before we get to the good stuff I'm pleased to announce that we are
nameless no more... the name of our distribution is "Ubuntu" (read
below for details) and the company supporting the project is Canonical
Ltd.

		    Announcing Ubuntu 4.10 Preview

Ubuntu is a new Linux distribution that brings together the breadth of
Debian with a focused selection of packages, regular releases (every
six months) and a commitment to security updates with 18 months of
security and technical support for every release.

This message is to announce Ubuntu's first public release:

    Ubuntu 4.10 Preview (codenamed the Warty Warthog -- or just "warty")

If you know all about this and just want to get the software, you can
find out everything you need to know about getting it here (read on
though, as there's some other good information in this mail including
information on getting Ubuntu CDs shipped to you free of charge):

    http://www.ubuntulinux.org/download/

For more information, you can turn to any of the following resources:

Ubuntu Website: http://www.ubuntulinux.org

    The website contains basic background on Ubuntu, an overview of
    the project, information on how to get it, and some documentation
    on the software.

Ubuntu Wiki: http://wiki.ubuntulinux.org

    The wiki contains most of the information and documentation on
    Ubuntu that the team has written thus far as they've worked up
    until now. You are welcome to edit and add to the wiki although
    you will need to log in first. You log in by clicking on
    UserPreferences in the top right hand corner of the page.

Ubuntu IRC Channel: #ubuntu on irc.freenode.net

    Anyone is welcome to join the Ubuntu IRC channel for help and
    discussion about Ubuntu and the Warty Warthog release. We aim to
    keep the signal-to-noise ratio as high as possible on that channel
    and on any mailing lists in the project.

Ubuntu Mailing Lists:

    Follow any of these URLs to subscribe to the list, view archives,
    or to change subscription options if you are already subscribed.

    Ubuntu Announcement List (Ultra-Low Traffic):

    Ubuntu User List:

    Ubuntu Development List:

Last but not least, we will gladly ship you a few CDs of Ubuntu at no
cost when Warty Warthog is released -- we expect that by the end of
October. To receive a complimentary copy of the Warty Warthog release
on CD -- or a handful to give to your friends or LUG -- register
online at:

    http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/

			Warty Warthog Features

* Simple and FAST Installation

  Ubuntu comes on a single CD, with thousands of extra packages
  available online. The install is optimised for speed and
  simplicity. Ubuntu has excellent support for laptops (both x86 based
  and Powerbook / iBook PPC based), and can also be setup in a
  minimalist server configuration.

* GNOME 2.8

  Ubuntu is the first distribution to ship Gnome 2.8, on the day of
  its release - be the first on your street to try it!

* Firefox 0.9

  We plan to include Firefox 1.0 for the gold release of Warty Warthog
  in October.

* First class productivity software

  Evolution 2.0 and OpenOffice.org 1.1.2

* XFree86 4.3 with improved hardware support

  Our XFree86 packages have been updated to support plenty of new
  hardware. We also have worked hard to detect as much hardware as
  possible, simplifying the X install considerably. We plan to ship
  X.org with our next release, due in April 2005.

Enjoy!

If you have questions, feel free to ask on the IRC channel, the
ubuntu-user mailing list or to reply me at mako at canonical.com
directly.

Regards,
Benjamin Mako Hill and the Ubuntu Team