installing ubuntu with speakup

Volodymyr Dorozhinsky dorozhinsky at ukr.net
Tue Feb 7 14:05:05 UTC 2023

Hi,

Maybe Ubuntu-Server does not come with speakup kernel module? At least
in my both setups of Ubuntu-Mate 20.04 and 22.04 I did not have to
install it manually.

Here is an output from my 20.04 machine:

dorozhinsky2 at dell-Inspiron-5570:~$ inxi -S
System:    Host: dell-Inspiron-5570 Kernel: 5.15.0-58-generic x86_64
bits: 64 Desktop: MATE 1.24.0
            Distro: Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS (Focal Fossa)

dorozhinsky2 at dell-Inspiron-5570:~$ systemctl status espeakup.service
● espeakup.service - Software speech output for Speakup
      Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service; enabled;
vendor preset: enabled)
      Active: active (running) since Tue 2023-02-07 14:40:05 CET; 22min ago
        Docs: man:espeakup(8)
    Main PID: 1366 (espeakup)
       Tasks: 4 (limit: 9260)
      Memory: 6.3M
      CGroup: /system.slice/espeakup.service
              └─1366 /usr/bin/espeakup -V

Feb 07 14:40:05 dell-Inspiron-5570 systemd[1]: Starting Software speech
output for Speakup...
Feb 07 14:40:05 dell-Inspiron-5570 systemd[1]: Started Software speech
output for Speakup.

Best regards

Volodymyr