ubuntu-mate-18.04.4-desktop-i386 silence or no boot

Glenn K0LNY glennervin at cableone.net
Fri Aug 7 19:42:49 UTC 2020

Hi,
I've downloaded this twice and I'm having booting to it on a 4GB USB drive.
I have no problems using Ubuntu-Mate 16.043 on my computers, but with ubuntu-mate-18.04.4-desktop-i386 I get no audio, and don't hear the speakers pop when booting to it.
I'm using an Intel NUC with 8GB of RAM.
I believe it uses a realtech sound chip on the motherboard.
Does anyone know if there are issues with some hardware on this version?
I want the i386 version so I can use it on some older computers around the house as well.
Thanks for any info.
Glenn