accessibility profiles, what is it and how it works?

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 31 03:26:19 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 09:28:59AM AEDT, B. Henry wrote:
> Is there now, or will there in the planned future be an easy way to export and import accessiblity profiles?

If you have a profile, you can just drop it in
/usr/share/a11y-profile-manager/profiles and it should be picked up. It
does not make sense to put them in your home directory because a profile
is much more useful if its available system wide.

Having said that, it would probably be useful to have a tool that could
export, import, and package up profiles to be shared. Editing
profiles on the other hand is not likely to be as easy, given you are
working with raw gsettings, so putting together a profile will be a matter
of knowing the gsettings schema, the gsettings you want to change within
that schema, and optionally the schema path, if that particular gsettings
schema has a relocatable schema path. This will likely require knowledge
of the settings of the applications you want to change.

Further to this though, I think there is a way one can monitor for gsettings
schema changes, so again it may be possible to make a tool that can monitor
for changes, and gather them, and then save them for you into a file. You
would then load the tool, run your app, change the settings you want changed,
then save the file.

At this point in time, there is no mechanism to support other settings
systems or configuration file formats. Ini style file formats could be
supported, but that would require another file format to define the ini
file layout and expected values. Other database based settings systems
could be supported if there was enough demand.

Luke