can't remove partitions in Vinux

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 07:50:08 UTC 2014

Luke Yelavich wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 05, 2014 at 02:07:46PM EST, Lenny wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I messed my install of Vinux, so I booted up to a live copy, of the same
>> version, 4.0, and in the terminal, I have tried unmounting some
>> partitions from the messed Vinux and although they say unmounted when I
>> run: sudo umount /dev/sda5
>> and
>> sudo umount /dev/sda2
>> these partitions won't be deleted.
>> I tried both in gparted and parted.
>
> This is probably because the swap partition is still in use. When a live
> instance of any Ubuntu based distro is booted, a check is made for a swap
> partition on any locally attached disks. If one is found, it is used.
>
> To turn this off, in a terminal run sudo swapoff -a.
>
> Luke

"swapon -s" will show which swap partitions are active.

More useful is the result of "mount", that should list a dozen
lines of information.

gparted might not know about any unmountings that have happend
from the command line.  It expects unmounting to happen through
its interface, but that problem will go away after a reboot.

Is your hard disk GPT or MBR?  You could try gdisk or cgdisk
for the former.  For the latter try fdisk or cfdisk.

--
blind Pete
Sig goes here...