accessible weather and radio apps

B. Henry burt1iband at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 18:29:21 UTC 2013

I also have good results with the weather indicater which is similar to the weather applet I used in earlier Ubuntu releases. It does crash sometimes, but not that often for me. Others have reported some issues, but I don't know of any comon denominater between the users who've had more problems.
I play streams with almost any of the media players that are accessible, and while I sometimes add a url or stream-playlist file to a player's favorites directly I usually just open a directory of playlist files for the audio I frequently stream and either enter on the files so that they are played by the default application for the file type, (customizable in file properties), or  choose what player to use from contextual or files  menus.
I also have a file of raw urls that open streams so that I can paste them in to a media player directly either for onetime use or as a favorite.
These methods have the advantage that once created they can be copied on to any computer, OS/distro independent. It's handy to put such a folder of playlists and a file of stream urls in to your UbuntuOne or DropBox directory so that they can be updated as you encounter new streams or as data changes for existing ones.
Lastly I make bash_aliases for the streams I play most so that they are easily started by typing a few characters on the commandline, e.g. bbcworld will start streaming the BBC World Service with mplayer or VLC. If you don't already have it I strongly suggest getting VLC as it is now accessible both with it's graphical interface andwhen working in the CLI.
There are some players that open a browser on shoutcast and similar pages, but as I don't live in the U.S. I can't directly access these steams. There are quite a few very good websites where you can access many streaming readio stations, some with thousands of streams if you are looking for new places to listen. Just save playlist files, (you'll often need to label them as they are not labeled with anything that  sounds like a station's name, and sometimes your browser may save all streams from a site with the same name). In other cases you will need to copy urls for the streams you discover.
HTH
--
B.H.