Ubuntu and a screenreader

Alan Bell alanbell at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 18 10:59:07 UTC 2013

On 18/10/13 01:29, tapper wrote:
> hi what's going on with the new Ubuntu:  can i as a blind computer
> user install it with speech. are you going to update the wiki or even
> do a blog post about it. i will be very happy if you can get back to
> me and let me no as win 8 is a pile! thanks Tapper

sorry, it is dreadful to install at the moment, there are about 7 dots
at the bottom of the ubiquity installer, each one isn't really a dot, it
is a progress bar with zero length, this means that every page of the
installer will read out loads of progress bar statuses
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1154345
You can fight your way through this, but it is hard. Hopefully 14.04
will be installable as an LTS.

Alan.

--
I work at http://libertus.co.uk