Some time horrible speech in Ubuntu 13.10 awailable Espeak and Speech-dispatcher

Hammer Attila hammera at pickup.hu
Mon Nov 11 09:15:14 UTC 2013

Hi,

My two machine awailable integrated sound cards Speech-dispatcher
Pulseaudio awailable driver and Espeak some time producing very bad and
not understandable speech output. Not have good testcase unfortunately
to reproduce the problem absolute sure, my subjective hearing I think
some time Espeak drastical want sending very fast speech rate the need
spokening text, or possible happening some time a distortion after
longer time system using.
Possible happening this problem because the packaged Espeak version
migrated with Pulseaudio and default applied the Libsonic support?
I not tryed yet to compile a latest Espeak version from source for
example the old portaudio19 library.
I experienced this problem with following sound cards:
1. An integraded Intel sound card my laptop, type is following: 00:1b.0
Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
(rev 03)
2. An integrated Nvidia chipset sound card.
3. A Creative SbLive sound card.
Ubuntu 12.04 awailable Oldest Speech-dispatcher and latest awailable
compiled from source Espeak test version works fine this configurations.

Few weeks ago I think I see a thread a similar problem related in Ubuntu
a11y list or the Orca list, but I not remember the thread subject and to
final anybody founded a solution or not.

Anybody have a good ydea to I what testing before reporting this problem
in Launchpad the proper component? Music playback works fine the tested
sound cards with Pulseaudio, independent if Speech-dispatcher using the
sound cards or not.

Attila