dreams and schemes

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 19:56:40 UTC 2013

For some reason, I thankfully didn't see the last handful of messages in
this thread.

I did see that the following was stated, and I'd just like to say that I
strongly disagree with such statements.

"The major problem I see in the US is that too many "blind people" want
everything for free, they whine about anything that doesn't go their
way, and believe employers should exempt them out of every minor aspect
of a job that requires them to "work hard"."

I obviously can't say that there aren't some blind people who feel this
way, but that's also true for some sighted people. As I said in a
lack of positive role models as children or a rehab system that didn't
set high expectations for them. Instead of looking down our noses at
them we need to help them. I see plenty of whining on blindness related
lists from people who think it's hopeless and don't think that any
amount of legislation or rehabilitation is going to change the lot of
the blind. There's just too much discrimination out there. I get
frustrated with this negative attitude, but don't let the vocal minority
speak for the quiet majority. I know far more blind people who are hard
working or who sincerely want to be hard working than I do blind people
who just want everything done for them.

Note that I strongly encourage blind people to contribute to open source
projects and help their fellow blind peers. I'd like to do more of this
myself, but I am proud of what I am able to do. Blind people, just like
their sighted counterparts, also need to get a job and think of their
own employment. That will limit how much someone, even someone out of
work or between projects, can contribute to projects helping the blind.

I'm also not comfortable creating our own subculture. Blind people do
share quite a few issues the sighted population doesn't have to Eal
with, and I think we need to come together to help each other and make
things better for other blind people, but I don't think we should
separate ourselves from the mainstream population. I'm not saying it's
easy, but we need to change the rest of the world so that it's more
inclusive. We've accomplished a lot in the last few decades, and with an
incredible amount of hard work, we can do more.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail