[orca-list] VINUX-SUPPORT: RE: Ubuntu Unity Desktop to go to Mir and QT

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 17:21:26 UTC 2013

I agree accessibility should be baked in from the beginning. It's
cheaper than bolting it on later, opens up more revenue streams,
provides positive PR and so on. It's the law here in the US, and just
the right thing to do. I wasn't speaking from my own opinion, but just
echoing where I think these companies are coming from and why I think
their making the investments they are. I can't think of a single smart
phone company that introduced an accessible smart phone with they're
first offering and that includes Apple, Google, Microsoft and Nokia. I
don't like it, but I don't think many companies place accessibility very
high on their priority lists as compared to getting a new product into
the market place and getting it to a point where it's competitive and
profitable.

I've heard that Apple had to develop it's own screen reader when Berkley
Systems went out of business and no other 3rd party screen reader would
develop a screen reader for the Mac. Apple was in danger of losing
government contracts because MS had an accessible story while Apple did
not. I don't know this first hand, but I would say I have it from
reliable sources. Of course, Apple has gone far beyond this in making
all of it's products accessible out of the box.

I'm not aware of any company losing a government contract because they
didn't have an accessible smart phone story, but I suspect this is
possible as smart phones become more and more a ubiquitous part of the
business world. This is why I suspect MS will address accessibility on
their Windows Phone platform at some point. I think they need to get the
Windows Phone platform to a point where government agencies start
considering asking their employees to use a Windows Phone. Right now, I
suspect Windows Phone doesn't have the apps or the market penetration
for businesses or government agencies to even consider it as an option.
I've heard good things about the Windows Phone platform though, and I do
know it's becoming a viable third option behind Apple and Android.

The real point of my email though was to be careful making analogies
between Canonical and Apple/Google. If we assume Canonical has 500
employees with one person working on accessibility (I know I'm being
optimistic.) then how does this compare to Apple and it's ratio of total
employees to those working on accessibility? Also, don't forget that
Apple's first smart phone was not accessible. It wasn't until this was
successful in the market place and competing with Nokia and Blackberry
before they added accessibility. Ditto for Google.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail