[orca-list] [Kde-accessibility] Ubuntu Unity Desktop to go to Mir and QT

Frederik Gladhorn frederik at gladhorn.de
Wed Jul 24 15:35:21 UTC 2013

Onsdag 24. juli 2013 08.47.34 skrev Alex Midence:
> Very true.  The thing that I want to test is editable text areas in QT.
> That was the biggest problem I saw last year when I was trying out KDE.  If
> you were in Kate or Kmail and there was some text you wanted to put in
> either because you were editing a file or filling out a form of some kind,
> Orca couldn't read it back to you.  If it was a field you were filling in,
> you could tab away and backtab back to it and Orca would speak its contents
> but, individual character by character or word by word navigation was not
> possible at the time.  I hope that's gotten better since then.  I haven't
> looked at it since May or June of last year, I think.  It is a very
> important piece of the puzzle.

For Kate it would be great if I could get bug reports with an easy description
on https://bugs.kde.org .

Another interesting thing to try would be Qt Creator - which is probably quite
complex to test, but for me the editor pretty much works with Orca. Or as a
simpler test the text editor example that is shipped with Qt 5
(examples/widgets/richtext/textedit). In general using one of the many
examples shipped with Qt makes it easier for me to reproduce bugs, feel free
to file Qt accessibility bugs on https://bugreports.qt-project.org and make
sure to choose "Gui: Accessibility" as component.

Generally the text interfaces should be much better in Qt 5 compared to Qt 4,
but need some testing.

KMail is using WebKit and is not expected to work all that great (even though
Jose made it work much better than before).

Greetings
Frederik