[orca-list] VINUX-SUPPORT: RE: Ubuntu Unity Desktop to go to Mir and QT

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 21:31:04 UTC 2013

I do not work for Canonical, and my statements on this or any list have
never been anything other than my own opinions. I don't know any more,
and never have,  about the plans for Unity accessibility than anyone
else following the Ubuntu blueprints, subscribing to the Ubuntu
accessibility mailing list, logging into the Ubuntu accessibility IRC
channel and attending the accessibility related sessions at UDS. This is
how I know the decision to focus accessibility resources on the LTS
releases was a very open and transparent decision. It was also not an
easy decision to make. I don't personally know at the moment what the
plans are now for the accessibility of Unity and Ubuntu 14.04, but I
assume they haven't changed and this is still the goal.

I don't think I'm quick to defend Ubuntu or Unity when anyone speaks out
against it, since there isn't enough time in the world for one person to
do this. I do try to point out though when someone misstates something
or says something that can lead to an incorrect inference. I don't just
do this for Ubuntu but other OS's, screen readers, applications and
products where I have some knowledge and experience.

The fact of the matter is that you stated the decision to focus
accessibility resources on 14.04 was to "sooth our ruffled feathers". Of
course, you have the right to your opinion, and you can be as snarky as
you want (although I don't know what this has to do with what country
your from) but as I read this, it implies that the developers made this
statement to get blind users off their back. I can assure you, since I
was in the room when this was discussed and this decision was made, that
this was not the case. The fact of the matter, is that it was considered
to be the best way to leverage the precious accessibility resources
working on Ubuntu, and it was just as simple as that. There were no
ulterior motives, and there was no discussion whatsoever on spin or
damage control. I understand you think this may be hair splitting, but I
think it's important that people reading your message  understand that
the accessibility developers working on Unity aren't doing anything but
being completely honest and open with the blind Ubuntu/Unity users. I am
quick to defend those developers who are working so hard, many of them
giving from their own spare time, to bring us more accessible solutions.

BTW, we weren't told this was the way it was going to be. The proposal
was laid out at a session at UDS to be discussed. Anyone could have
attended that session, either in person or via IRC or telephone, and
participated in the discussion. Since resources are so limited, I'm not
sure what other conclusion could have been made though.

BTW, given previous emails from you, I assumed this wasn't intended to
be inflammatory, but I thought the above inference could be made which
is why I replied as I did. If I'm the only one who made such an
inference then that's great.