Here it is...Ubuntu Phone

Nolan Darilek nolan at thewordnerd.info
Mon Jan 7 04:06:29 UTC 2013

Thanks, Chris.

To be clear, my feelings about wanting to step back aren't due to your
thoughts, or to those of any on this list. I'm sorry if my writing makes
it appear otherwise, and I appreciate that you shared what you did.

I develop apps for Android. At the moment my big hobby project is
accessible GPS navigation based on OpenStreetMap, and with a level of
spoken detail similar to what would be found on pricier GPS solutions.
I'd like to keep building this out, with the very long-term goal of
using it in sailboat navigation.

Android is a cool platform, but I just grew tired of battling the JVM,
Android's extensive customization of same, and all the assorted
limitations thereof. I've also encountered unscientific and anecdotal
evidence that native code generally runs faster and eats less battery
than does the JVM.

I'd really hoped to port these apps to Ubuntu, to leave Android behind,
and to develop on what I feel to be a superior platform. Never mind if
the audience is smaller; I do this for the love of it. So it hurts deep
down that this doesn't look possible, and that there's no clear and
apparent way to encourage Canonical to step up its efforts.

Unity isn't trivial, and I never meant to imply that it was. But it's
shiny, in the way that putting a nice paint job on a
not-as-well-maintained car is shiny. And I don't see Canonical caring
all that much about access, which is one of those areas in which the car
isn't kept up. Canonical puts so much effort into encouraging developers
and users to its platform. It hurts that the disabled community seems
like an afterthought.

I remember being here with Android in '09. I'm just not sure that I'm
ready to be here again so soon.