Here it is...Ubuntu Phone

B. Henry burt1iband at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 19:34:00 UTC 2013

Terrible! I am appauled reading that your msg was marked spam.
Sadly, your friends and you are in the majority of blind computer users in deciding that Windows meets their needs better than current Linux realeases due to the lack of major progress of a<ccessibility.i
There is no doubt that as far as web-browsing goes NVDA/firefox gives a muuch better experience on most web-pages than does any
browser with Linux screenreading options. I'd go as far as to say that NVDA/firefox is the gold standard for accessible web-browsing.  There's also no doubt that web-browsers are if not the most important programs on most computers they are one of the most used and most indespensible pieces of software for the majority of users. This is close to as true for blind users as it is for the population in general, and I think  that I'm not alone when I say that it is very hard to continue to be pasient waiting on an acceptable level of web-browser accessibility. The ball is not in Ubuntu's court in general here, but as is said below at the very least it is important to fast track the inclusion of latest accessibility software in to Ubuntu.
I think I'm correct in saying that it's a scramble to get the LTS releases minimally accessible when first deamed ready for production use. When major accessibility bugs are still not fixed when the LTS comes out of beta this says to me that Canical needs to dedicate more resources to making Ubuntu usable by blind users.
I'd like to see mid-term Ubuntu releases have  a similar level of accessibility to that now acheived with the LTSs, and resolvable accessibility issues dealt with issues treated as critical for all long-term-support Ubuntu releases.
Especially with a mobile Ubuntu option top line accessibility seems like it could even make good business sense. Apple has captured a much larger share of the blind-mobile-user market than they'd have if other platforms offered similar levels of out of the box accessibility. (I hope that latest android has acheived comparible accessibility to ios, but do not have devices to compare to know if this is the case or not.)
Anyway, it'll be an uphill battle for Ubuntu to catch up in mobile space, so why not try and do so everywhere possible, including  with blind folk?
I'll be looking at the Shuttleworth blog post for sure, and if enough of us speak up who knows! I hope others find the minutes required to comment as well, and if we are consistently treated as spammers then we certainly need to take this to as broad an audience as is possible. I really hope that this was an odd exception and that our voices will be heard by the Ubuntu community at  large, and especially by the powers that be at Canonical.
--
Burt Henry

 On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 10:50:33PM -0600, Nolan Darilek wrote:  a