Here it is...Ubuntu Phone

Nolan Darilek nolan at thewordnerd.info
Wed Jan 2 23:50:46 UTC 2013

I would like to organize some sort of advocacy effort to get Canonical
to take accessibility more seriously. I understand the limitations of
the current accessibility team, but if we look back at the state of
computing two years ago vs. today, any reasonable person would agree
that telling a certain subset of the population that they can only be
assured accessible software on that schedule while others get upgrades
every six months is unreasonable. I don't want Ubuntu to be another
Android, an accessibility situation with which I am quite familiar.

I tried posting a comment here:

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1221/comment-page-1#comment-400356

because a post that claims that Canonical doesn't want to leave users
behind in 2013 seems at odds with a company whose next release I will
have guaranteed access to won't be out until 2014. Unfortunately, my
comment got caught up in Akismet and appears to have vanished. Perhaps
others who feel the same should ask Mark not to leave accessibility
behind while Canonical charges ahead in so many other areas.

Ubuntu Phone uses QML 5. I get that QT isn't as accessible, but it's
being adopted by a bunch of companies in the mobile space, so you'd
think that they'd have all contributed toward making it accessible.
Perhaps it's time for Canonical to set a good example in this space and
contribute more toward accessibility than it currently does.

I'm going to start actively commenting on Canonical and other blogs,
advocating for the expansion of the accessibility team. Thoughts on what
else we can do? I'd love to do this stuff myself, but I'm already
writing an Android screen reader and working on Android accessibility
projects, and end users can't always be called upon to take up the slack
that paying companies leave behind.