Orca in Xfce?

Peter Vágner pvdeejay at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 11:35:30 UTC 2013

Hello,
I am also using xfce on one of my machines and I have got a lot of apps
working in there.
I am using Arch linux and I have tried to write the instructions on how
to get xfce4 working in arch. Perhaps you will be able to get the idea
from my write up and you will adjust it to ubuntu.
So let's assume you have got pure text based arch linux installed and
you would like to get xfce installed and try to make it accessible.
Here is what I would suggest:
- install xfce4 and xfce4-goodies groups of packages.
- If you have no ~/.xinitrc file then copy the default one into your
home directory
cp /etc/skel/.xinitrc ~/.xinitrc
- edit ~/.xinitrc with your favorite text editor. Make sure the line
exec startxfce4
is there and is not commented out.
Before this line add another line saying
export GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge
- Install orca what will also install speech-dispatcher and other
dependencies.
- Now either change speech-dispatcher configuration so it will use alsa
as its output module or install pulseaudio.
You can edit /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf
- At this point you should be able to start xfce by executing startx .
As it starts up you will be greeted by the pannel configuration which is
not accessible. You can escape or alt+f4 out of it and then press alt+f2
to run xfce4 app finder and type in orca to launch it.
- If orca starts first thing you should do is that you will press alt+f1
to inwoke the popup menu, choose applications -> settings ->
accessibility and enable screen reader checkbox.
Once this is enabled I think you don't have to export the GTK_MODULES
variable. So you will then be able to start xfce from the login manager.

I haven't installed gdm in order to get accessible login screen because
it installs a lot of gnome dependencies. Instead I have installed SLiM
and set it to autologin.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLiM#Autologin I don't know if
there are other more accessible login managers.

In order to make the experience better I have installed the following
gnome and lxde packages:
polkit-gnome, evince, file-roller, pcman-fm.

QT4 apps can also be made accessible while running xfce4 you have to
instal qt-at-spi from AUR and restart the machine in order to get it
working.

xfce4-terminal is accessible, it has even keyboard shortcut for select all.
Mousepad what is xfce text editor is working verry well too.
For playing multimedia you can install vlc, totem or DeaDBeeF for music.
DeaDBeeF is just partially accessible but it's avesome.

Firefox, Thunderbird and libre-office are all working verry well.
In the alt+F1 menu -> settings -> prefered applications I have changed
default filemanager from thunar to pcman-fm. Xfce folks have put some
efforts into making thunar more accessible however it is not yet working
verry well.

If something does not work then try to diagnose what is failing. If all
is working well don't read further.
After starting xfce4 hit alt+f2 and run xfce4-terminal .
In the terminal make sure sound is working by using speaker-test for
example. You can exit speaker-test by pressing ctrl+c.
Then next step is to make sure speech is working. First try to use
espeak as follows if it is really installed properly and working
espeak -v en "hello world"
If that is working well then move on and test whether the
speech-dispatcher is working by running
spd-say "hello world"
Finally if all this is still working without a problem start orca from
the terminal and examine its output. Perhaps there is some package
missing, wrong entry in the config etc.

Hopefully this is usefull

Greetings

Peter