how good will be the gnome shell edition of Ubuntu 13.04?

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 25 02:41:49 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:16:43PM EST, Krishnakant Mane wrote:
> Still no confirmation for my query on some thing similar to Heads up
> display?
> Is such a feature there in Gnome 3.6?

No it is not. I am surprised you use the HUD, because its not as accessible as it could be, and I find it gets in the way.

> Also, I wish to know from all the eminent list members, is Gnome
> shell the right path to go for a long terms solution?

If you want to use GNOME long term, then yes. Ubuntu will be moving away from the use of GNOME as part of its desktop, and will be using its own Qt based GUI. There will always be the GNOME remix, and I dare say once Ubuntu stops using GNOME completely, then you will see GNOME regularly up to date in future Ubuntu releases.

> Is it any faster in performance as compared to Unity?

Its hard to compare that at the moment, given unity 3D is not fully accessible, and given that Unity is undergoing another rewrite to be Qt5 based.

Luke